Sunday, August 16, 2015

Week 9: Becoming a PIRATE and finding your crew

School is starting for many of us, so I feel it is best to wrap up this book study before school kicks off.  The last 2 parts of the book gets into the meat of the PIRATE method of teaching.  Part 2 giving numerous hooks to use with you students and Part 3 is converting your classroom to be PIRATEd.  I hope you all will enjoy the last parts of the book.  I know I have again.
Part 2
 So many hooks and presentation suggestions were given.  I am no longer a classroom teacher, but I plan on using many of these hooks in my professional development that I will run at my new district.  Using music, to art work, to the magic and amazing outcomes, I could see how I can use these hooks to engage fellow teachers about technology tools and management.  I have read and head many times that technology does not take the place of good teaching and that technology is only a tool to accent teaching, either for the worse or better.  So increasing my presentation skills is not about finding that one web tool, app, or device, but using hooks, smooth transitions and selling the need.  This coming Thursday I will be teaching the high school staff about using iPads to accent their teaching.  Using a kinesthetic hook with a QR scavenger hunt, energy filled music to set the stage, and the Picasso hook to show off drawing apps for any discipline I hope to introduce my new colleagues what it is to be a PIRATE.  I look forward to trying these hooks out and perfecting the art of presentation with them and any model lesson I get the opportunity to do.  What are some hooks or presentation pointers that spark your interest? How have you used these before in your class?  I agree with Dave, it is about the question.  If you ask the right question: “How can my kids move while learning?” “What can they draw/create to review their learning?”  “How can I build this lesson into a competition?” then the engagement will come easy to any lesson. 

Part 3
It is okay to beat your own drum.  I remember reading a blog post from RafranzDavis about this.  If we are not telling our story, then how will anything change?  The most feared pirate had the strongest crew.  They did not have to recruit this crew, but the crew came to them.  The same will go with you.  Find that one teacher that you collaborate with best.  Get them to buddy up with you as you both go into uncharted waters.  You will both be there to support each other, and cheer each other on.  We all need a partner in education.  It is a hard job, and only becomes harder when you are trying to change the norm.  I noticed on the twitters that many of you have already got that partner.  That is awesome, and one of my main loves of Twitter.  But if you haven’t, it’s okay.  I bet there are many teachers out there.  Those are the ones sitting at their desk, asking “Is there a better way?”.  You will notice them, they come in with a spark in their eyes at the beginning of the year, but this spark dies as the year progresses.  Or they will be the one that the kids are calling different, weird, and expect something of them.  That is who you want on your crew.  Throw a suggested lesson, hook, or mystery guest you want to bring to your room.  You never know it might be “the start of something beautiful.”  So start the year off with this in mind.  What is your biggest fear?  Is it failure, perfectionism, figuring it all out, focus, criticism?  If you have any of these, I do too.  We will change, and when we change it will cause a larger change around us.  I know I have said it before, but I cannot say enough of Twitter.  When I am having my fears there are many that are there to support me.  Search the #tlap, #sstlap, #scitlap on Twitter, and find an entire world of helpful Pirates. If Twitter isn’t your “thing”, try out any social media platform.  Facebook has whole groups of supportive teachers, Google Plus has large communities of inspirational and innovative teachers, Pintrest has about a million and a half ideas of using these hooks in your classroom. 

So there you go.  What hooks will you start your year off with?  How will your teaching change?  How will your presentations be smoother and more engaging?  What is it that is stopping you from starting?  Send out your answers in all the normal places using the #SummerTLAP on Twitter, in the comments below or the Google Form.  It has been a blast having you all join me in this study.  I look forward to continuing to hear from you all.
WISD people fill out your Google Form, if you haven’t done them all, and I will turn your names into the people there.

Good luck and have fun!  Aaargh!

1 comment:

  1. I will start my classroom the first day of school by using a kinesthetic hook. My students will use a beach ball to answer questions about themselves. Each section of the ball will have questions for the student to answer. (i.e- what is your favorite color etc.) Then we will play a yes or no game using the two opposite walls. I will try to create my presentations with the least transition interruptions. I'm hoping this will create a smoother presentation. I have always wanted to do more group work/ activities with the students moving around working together. I always limit those activities due to fear of chaos in my classroom. I will push that aside and have those type of activities in my lessons.

    ReplyDelete